Exhibition Site: The site is located on the rooftop of Seward Park Campus on the Corner of Essex and Grand Street in Manhattan’s Lower East Side. The roof is the size of one city block. (Approximately one acre) The roof is in the shape of the letter E and has many hidden areas. The top of the roof is covered by a steel structure and windows covered with metal grates surround the walls. The rooftop is an outdoor space. Any artwork will need to endure the seasons.
Rooftop Legends: The site currently contains the “Rooftop Legends,” where legends of urban art come together to create an outdoor museum space to celebrate various mediums of art and popular culture. Street art has become hip material for advertisers, gallery exhibitions, and museum shows. Rooftop Legends presents the range of messages citizens see everyday in various media. We feel that the process of making art is an invaluable tool and that art itself can be used as a vehicle to build bridges between communities; The Rooftop Legends exhibition will provide a unique way for young people to learn, connect and communicate.
• Make an appointment to visit the site before applying. Contact Scott Conti at email@example.com or 212.475.4148 to schedule a visit.
Site Visits Dates and Times:
• Monday through Friday from 10:00 – 4:00
• Saturdays by appointment only.
• Sq. Footage: 15,000 Square Feet
• Capacity: 1500
• Security: Provided by New York School Safety Agents. Based on the size of the event, private security may have to be provided.
• Bathrooms: Available on the 4th, 5th, and 6th floors
• Elevator: Elevator to 5th Floor. One flight of stairs to 6th Floor
• Flooring: Asphalt Brick
• Parking: Hourly Pay Lot with entrance on Essex Street between Delancy and Broome. Daily Pay Lot on Delancy east of Essex Street.
• View: East Village, Lower East Side, West Village, Lower Manhattan, Williamsburg Bridge